I find it SO annoying when apple fanboys start gushing over their iphones – I mean seriously – its just a phone, shut up and get over it.
I am sorry – I didn’t understand. I am now a very proud android fanboy.
You see its NOT just a phone. In fact the phone part is the least exciting part about it.
I got my HTC desire 5 days ago. It runs Android 2.1. It is currently the best android phone on the market (I am sure this becomes outdated as I type 🙂 )
I have been deciding on a phone for the last 6 months. Initially I was going to go with Blackberry – having had a querty keyboard before I really loved it – the notion of touch typing on a screen wouldn’t work as well. Playing with a friends iPhone I realised that the apps are what makes this a better phone. The bigger screen (and thus lack of “real” keyboard) made sense and it was worth it.
But an iPhone? So then I looked into all the fanfare a bit more. The Nexus One was just out and a friend had the HTC Hero – pretty impressive. Also – SO much cheaper than the iPhone – but hardly any apps. Well – that changed quickly. About 2 months ago I decided on the HTC Desire – it wasn’t yet available in my country but I knew it was the one I wanted.
life since I got IT…
I’m a little app crazy… I’ve tried a whole bunch – some have stayed – a lot have been removed 🙂 As I don’t have a data package my internet connectivity is limited to wifi at my home or free wifi spots. I also bought a screen protector on ebay …
Some of my favourite apps are:
- RemindMe – type in a reminder date and time and it will notify you
- OI Notepad – good for jotting down directions etc
- OI shopping list –good to just keep the list going
- Barcode Scanner – very cool and geeky
- My Days – I’m a girl, we like to know when our period is near
- Wifi Manager – awesome little wifi tool, shows strength, remembers logins etc.
- Wiggle Lite – depending on which wifi signal you pick up, you can change your phones settings. My phone goes to silent when I pick up the work wifi 🙂
- Advanced Task Cleaner – not sure if I need this … I think being a windows user I’m a little paranoid
the inspiring bit…
i haven’t developed in about 3 years .. yet here I am downloading JDKs and Eclipse and SDKs so that I can try and write my own android app … I feel like a true geek (and if you know me – you know this is something I say I’m not)
Day 1 : download and install, create hello world app – totally distracted by work meetings and then google street view for South Africa became available and distracted me further 🙂
mmm ok – that’s where the dev work ended – it was fun though 🙂
Its been a few weeks now since I got my phone – and I’ve noticed some things:
- In the dark compare to a friends iphone it looks fabulously bright and crisp – the iphone display looked almost pale and milky in comparison – the black is gray etc.
- I hardly use the phone. But I use the email/twitter/camera/shopping list/notepad/internet via wifi ALL the time.
- The camera is awesome – better than my real camera. The flash is a little too bright though.
- The weather report with rain drops, fog and sunshine is very cool – and my favourite thing 🙂
- Whilst I haven’t had the phone die on me- I am very concerned that the battery gets low so quickly – just in case – I charge it nightly. Apparently this is fairly normal for a smart phone. No store in Cape Town has a car charger though.
- The sms functionality sucks. I cant even find an App that works perfectly and does everything I want. Can only sms one person at a time, searching for a message is hard. Following a conversation is hard (and ugly). As my gmail contacts are there I often end up sending an email instead of an sms and then not noticing until its too late.
- Copy and paste is difficult – in fact I still haven’t been able to do this successfully.
final verdict …
I still love my phone. I no longer loathe the site of iphones or the gushing of apple fanboys – I just grin and pull out my phone. I love being connected all the time if I want and not at all – if I want. I love the simplicity of always having a camera, the shopping list etc on me.
Now it needs to become an electronic payment and identification device so that I no longer have to carry my purse, id book and drivers license. THAT would be AWESOME!!